Sunday, August 15, 2010

my shoes

It is a sad day. My favorite pair of shoes have finally worn out and no amount of glue or duct tape could come to the rescue.



I shouldn't be so sentimental, but I purchased these shoes about 8 years ago and they've been a staple on all of my Africa trips. They have slogged through the muds of the forest region of Guinea during the rainy season; they have kept my feet cool on the hot sands of Timbuktu, Mali; they have met the pygmy king of western Uganda; they've been with me on safari in Kenya and South Africa; they have protected my feet from the mines of southern Sudan (ok, that one is a stretch!) and even kept me balanced on the rough cobble stones of Boston.

And now, they are lying in a trash heap in Wau, S. Sudan, because it wasn't worth bringing them back from their last trip.


The worst thing about it...only one of the shoes was ruined!

RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment