Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I owned a farm in Africa...


...well, not a farm, not even a plot of land, at least not yet. But the project has been renovating a house which I will move into in the next couple of weeks and it's hard not to get excited - I've watched too many home improvement shows! This is definitely NOT Design on a Dime! I did have to hold back ..."Don't I get to pick the tile for the kitchen and bath?" "What, no backsplash?" "Not even an accent wall?"

No, silly, keep your comments to things like razor wire for the exterior wall, reinforced doors and windows, and security lighting. And just be grateful that there will be a toilet, 2 in fact! And hopefully hot water. Now that's living the high-life.

I WILL have fun throw pillows, though. C'mon! I could live here for up to 3 years. The place has to have some character. Still trying to decide where to put a hammock, and the herb garden so that when I visit my family at Christmas I can bug them by repeating "I own a farm in Africa..." in my best Meryl Streep doing a Danish accent voice, over and over and over again.

As a welcome gift, the Program Manager in Malakal (Upper Nile State) sent me this outfit. Kind of fun. Makes me look Sudanese, no? Ok, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment